(StatePoint) Pizza is a staple for many, but with a simple twist and the collaboration of the entire family, making pizza at home can turn a pizza night into a much-anticipated night of fun for the entire family.
“Pizza is an easy solution for busy families, but it doesn’t mean that you have to resort to ordering in,” said Gabrielle Wesley, at Pillsbury. “Including the children in making pizza can be a great opportunity to spend time together and serve a delicious dinner the whole family will enjoy.”
For a creative twist on traditional pizza, try flavoring the pizza crust, which infuses the extra flavor parents are looking for in their meals while still providing a simple dinnertime favorite for the entire family. Moms can flavor the crust with ingredients like garlic butter, herbs or parmesan cheese. Kids can join in on the fun by adding the fresh toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats and veggies.
For creative inspiration, Pillsbury offers a variety of delicious and easy recipe ideas for home-baked pizza with flavored crust – from Garlic Butter Crusted Margherita Pizza to Italian Herb Crusted Cheese Pizza and even Parmesan Crusted Chicken Alfredo Pizza, to name a few.
Try serving a surefire crowd-pleaser that showcases a simple but delicious twist on the family favorite with the Garlic Butter Crusted Margherita Pizza recipe:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped roasted garlic or chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can Pillsbury refrigerated classic pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted garlic or chopped garlic
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil strips
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease large dark or nonstick cookie sheet with shortening or cooking spray; set aside.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon roasted garlic and the salt. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 to 15 minutes or until tomatoes are thickened, stirring frequently. Set aside; cool slightly.
- Unroll dough on cookie sheet. Press out dough to 15×10-inch rectangle. In small bowl, mix butter and 1 tablespoon roasted garlic. Spread over dough. Bake 7 minutes; remove from oven.
- Evenly distribute tomato mixture over partially baked crust. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Sprinkle basil strips over pizza before serving.
More family-friendly recipes can be found at www.Pillsbury.com.
By keeping refrigerated pizza dough on hand, parents can quickly and easily turn a night at home into a night of family fun. After dinner, pick a movie for the entire family to enjoy, or better yet, keep the conversation alive with a game of charades, cards or a classic board game.
With a little creativity, making pizza at home can be delicious and fun for the whole family.